КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА № 3
1. Соотнесите значения слов и выражений, данных в правой колонке, с их английскими эквивалентами, данными в левой колонке.
1 implementation of law
e) применение закона
h) наем на работу
3 to apply for a transfer j) обращаться с просьбой о переводе
5 civil service
b) государственная гражданская служба
6 to be undertaken
7 partisan activity
f) узкопартийная деятельность
9 to determine complaints
c) решать (рассматривать) жалобы
2. Прочитайте и выберите правильный вариант перевода причастий, выделенных жирным шрифтом.
1. The commission draws up the rules governing examinations for those positions that Congress places in the classified civil service.
a) регулирующие b) урегулировав c) регулируя
2. In 1939 the merit system was extended to sections of state administration receiving federal grants.
a) получив b) получающие c) получая
3. One of the oldest examples of a civil service based on meritocracy is the Imperial bureaucracy of China.
a) основывающий b) основывая c) основанный
4. Having been authorized by Congress the President prescribed regulations for admission to public service.
a) будучи уполномоченным b) уполномочив c) уполномочивая
5. British civil servants are strictly excluded from politics.
a) исключив b) исключая c) исключены
6. Having come to office in 1979 Margaret Thatcher reduced the size of the civil service.
a) приходя b) придя c) приходить
7. A new civil service code was launched on 6 June 2006 to outline the core values and standards expected of civil servants.
a) выпуская b) выпустив c) выпущен
8. In late 1981 the Prime Minister announced the abolition of the Civil Service Department, transferring power over the Civil Service to the Prime Minister’s Office and Cabinet Office.
a) передавая b) передав c) передающий
9. By 1998, 42 Charters had been published, and they included services provided by public service industries such as the health service and the railways, as well as by the civil service.
a) обеспечивающих b) обеспеченных c) обеспечив
10. Under the administration of Tony Blair, the influence of two Downing Street special advisers, Jonathan Powell and Alastair Campbell, both of whom were given formal power over Downing Street civil servants.
a) дана b) дав c) давая
3. Прочитайте и выберите правильные варианты перевода форм причастий, которые соответствуют словам, данным в скобках.
1. In 1806, the British East India Company established a college near London for training administrators (на основании) on the recommendation of officials in China.
a) having been based b) basing c) based
2. (Будучи назначенным) as an efficiency expert with the Prime Minister’s personal backing, Marks and Spencer identified numerous problems with the Civil Service.
a) having appointed b) having been appointed c) appointed
3. Margaret Thatcher immediately set about reducing the size of the civil service, (сократив) numbers from 732,000 to 594,000 over her first seven years in office.
a) cutting b) cut c) having been cut
4. The Civil Rights Act of 1965 (введенный) by Lyndon Johnson, made companies hire and promote minorities.
a) enacting b) enacted c) having enacted
5. At the height of patronage every administration was marked by massive removals of officials (работающих) for the departing administration.
a) worked b) having been worked c) working
6. The establishment of the modern civil service is closely (ассоциируется) with the decline of feudalism and the growth of national autocratic states.
a) associating b) associated c) being associated
7. The organization of the government bureaucracy was streamlined by the creation of the General Services Administration, (объединяющую) the operations and activities of some 60 government agencies.
a) combining b) combined c) having combined
8. A Civil Service Commission and the beginning of a system of competitive examinations were (учреждены) in Great Britain in 1855.
a) establishing b) established c) having been established
9. The Civil Service Code, (представленный) in 1996, is a concise statement of the role and responsibilities of civil servants.
a) being introduced b) having been introduced c) introduced
10. (Будучи исправленным) in 1999 the Civil Service Code took account of devolution.
a) revised b) revising c) having been revised
4. Преобразуйте предложения, используя причастия I или II вместо выделенных жирным шрифтом частей предложений.
1. The Pendleton Act classified certain jobs removed from the patronage ranks. 2. In the 2006-07 financial year, there were 155,482 Australian public servants employed under the Public Service Act. 3. In France the reforms preceding the Revolution were the basis for the Napoleonic reforms transformed the royal service into the civil service. 4. In 1851 Congress passed a resolution requesting Cabinet officers to formulate some plan of classifying the clerks in the several departments. 5. The Pendleton Act 1883 established the Civil Service Commission to administer a system based on merit rather than political connections. 6. The public had become disgusted with the scandals and costs of the Federal government under the practices existed. 7. Presidents James Madison (1809-1817) and James Monroe (1817-1825), having been of the same political party as Thomas Jefferson, saw no need to modify the “redress the balance” civil service policy of their predecessor. 8. At the height of the patronage system, each change in administration was marked by massive removals of officials working for the departing administration. 9. The Civil Right Act of 1965 enacted by Lyndon Johnson made companies hire and promote minorities. 10. The letter being checked now by the Minister must be sent off at once.
5. Выберите правильный перевод герундия из предложенных вариантов.
1. President George Washington (1789-1797) set a high standard in political appointments in selecting his nominees.
a) выбирая b) при выборе c) когда выбирал
2. I insist on promoting an official on the basis of the judgement of superiors.
a) продвигающий b) продвигая c) продвижении
3. He objected to transforming the royal service into the civil service.
a) преобразование b) преобразовывать c) преобразовывающий
4. The text The History of Civil Service in the United States is worth reading.
a) прочитать b) читающий c) прочитав
5. A lot of people enjoy applying for a job in the same agency.
a) обращаться b) при обращении c) обращаясь
6. Nobody liked his idea of abolishing the Civil Service Commission.
a) отменить b) отменив c) отмена
7. It is worth stating again that a civil servant holds his office “at pleasure” and can be dismissed at any time by the Minister.
a) констатировать b) констатирующий c) констатируя
8. When I came into the office this civil servant was on the point of leaving.
a) уходить b) уходящий с) ушел
9. The Minister has finished dictating a letter to the secretary.
a) диктант b) диктовать c) диктование
10. He mentioned having read it in the paper.
a) читает b) прочитает c) читал
6. Преобразуйте предложения так, чтобы в них присутствовал Герундий. Переведите их на русский язык.
1. His surprising was the fact that in Prussia civil servants were chosen on a competitive basis.
Его удивлял факт, что в Пруссии госслужащие выбирались на конкурсной основе.
2. He mentioned Napoleonic reforms’ transforming of the royal service into the civil service.
Он упомянул наполеоновские реформы по преобразованию королевской службы в гражданскую.
3. Do you mind my applying for a transfer to anywhere in the civil service?
Вы не против, если я обращусь с просьбой о переводе в другое место в государственную службу?
4. He insisted on his being able to do the the work for private sector as well as government departments.
Он настаивал на своей состоятельности сделать работу для частного сектора так же, как и для государственных ведомств.
5. You may avoid many mistakes by observing these rules.
Вы можете избежать многих ошибок, соблюдая эти правила.
6. Entering the room he greeted everybody.
Войдя в комнату, он всех поприветствовал.
7. He is proud of his promoting.
Он гордиться своим продвижение по работе.
8. I don’t remember my reading about the History of the Civil service before.
Я не помню, чтобы читал раньше об истории гражданской службы.
9. We were informed about the approving of our proposal.
Мы были проинформированы об утверждении нашего предложения.
10. After spending the whole day there they prepared their reports.
Они подготовили свои доклады, потратив целый день.
7. Постройте условные предложения I типа (реальное условие) и II типа (нереальное условие) преобразовав глаголы, данные в скобках.
1. If he wants to change his job, he will apply for a new job in the same agency. (C. I) 2. If they were of the same political party, they would not appoint commissioners. (C. II) 3. If you are a member of the Civil Service Commission you can conduct this investigation. (C. I) 4. We would succeed if our proposal was approved. (C. II) 5. I will be disappointed if they don’t prepare their reports in time. (C. I) 6. If I were you, I would not say this. (C. II) 7. I will hear his complaints if I have time. (C. I) 8. If he were here, he would answer you. (C. II) 9. If I were in his place I would refuse. (C. II) 10. If he is here he will help us. (C. II)
8. Постройте условные предложения III типа, преобразовав глаголы, данные в скобках.
1. If Lyndon Johnson had not enacted the Civil Rights Act in 1965, companies would not have promoted minorities. 2. If you had conducted the investigation, you would have known the truth. 3. If he had kept records, he would not have forgotten anything. 4. If you had really wanted to determine his capability, you would have given him practical tests. 5. If he had been successful in doing this eligibility test, he would have got this position. 6. If he had not worked hard, he would not have made progress. 7. If you had met him before, you would have known all the news. 8. If he had warned me, nothing would have happened. 9. I would have phoned him if I had known where he works. 10. You would have avoided many mistakes if you had observed the rules.
9. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глаголы в активном или пассивном залоге.
1. During the nineteenth century, civil service was based on the Spoils System. 2. In 1871, George Curtis organized the Civil Service Reform League. 3. Women were not restricted from taking the exam and being appointed to a post. 4. The Civil Service Code was introduced in 1996 and sets out the duties and responsibilities of civil servants. 5. Since September 11, 2001, the Bush Administration has taken every opportunity available to advocate for a profound erosion of civil service protection. 6. The early years of civil service have been marked by a period of high standards and expectations of public officials. 7. During the next 20 years, at least one civil service reform bill will be introduced in each session of Congress. 8. The Spoils System (patronage) is the policy of giving government jobs to political party workers who have supported a victorious candidate.
10. Согласитесь (Т) или опровергните (F) следующие утверждения.
1. The use of competitive examinations to select civil official was begun in the world in 206 BC-220AD.
2. A Conservative idea was to make civil service department agents. X
3. Since the late nineties civil service departments report only to the minister in each principality.
4. Civil service is centralized over matters.
5. The modern service was developed between 1780-1870. X
6. The Senior Civil Service was created in 1981.
7. Federal employees don’t play an active role in party politics.
8. In 1865 reform legislation was introduced to Congress because the Spoils System was associated with corruption. X
9. The Pendleton Act of 1883 established the Civil Service reform league.
10. The Civil Rights Act of 1965 forbids discrimination in the work place. X